DTYCTS (aka Dads Take Your Child to School) Day is upon us! Tomorrow, Tuesday, September 19, is the official day. Your Drew PTSA is proud to partner with our new school counselor, Mrs. Nadine Allen, to organize and sponsor the event. Please join us for doughnuts, coffee, and activities with your children in the All-Purpose Room at 8:25 AM before school starts. Last year's celebration witnessed more than 100 father figures, and we expect this year to top that. Fathers and other male role models/guardians (e.g. grandfathers, stepfathers, uncles, big brothers, etc.) are invited to attend. See you first thing in the morning!
To find out more about the Dads Take Your Child to School event, visit www.dadstakeyourchildtoschoolday.com.
Drew was so lucky to have our 5th graders leading the school this year. We will certainly miss them and wish them the best.
In recognition of their success and contributions, your Drew PTA and a committee of 5th grade teachers and parents teamed up to continue the exciting 5th grade end-of-year party tradition. Together with a substantial fundraising effort by teachers and parents and a PTA sponsorship, the kids were treated to an exciting 3-hour fun fest featuring music, pizza, snacks, refreshments, Kona Ice, a photo booth, and an inflatable obstacle course.
We bid our graduating 5th graders a bittersweet farewell! You were amazing students and even better kids! Thank you for helping to make Drew a fantastic school. We hope your journey into middle school and beyond is as successful as the one you've experienced here with us! And remember: once a Dolphin, always a Dolphin! Visit often!
The Foreign Language in Elementary School (FLES) program classes in French and Spanish hosted their final sessions and held an open house for parents on May 15. The classes were offered by Big Learning, a non-profit enrichment before- and after-school program organization founded by the Montgomery County Council of PTAs (MCCPTA) in 1975. We've been delighted to coordinate its return after a few-year hiatus and look forward to teaming up again to offer foreign language opportunities in the future.
Be sure to check out the exciting after school enrichment programs in science and engineering offered by Big Learning at Drew ES this spring! Our spring science theme is Solar Energy.
The Science & Engineering courses are:
- Bubbles to Rainbows - Grades K-2, Thursdays @ 4:00-5:00 p.m.
- Eco-KID! - Grades 2-4, Thursdays @ 4:00-5:00 p.m.
- Solarific - Grades 3-5, Thursdays @ 4:00-5:00 p.m.
The start date for the S&E courses has been postponed to April 20, so there's still time to sign up!
Big Learning is also proud to offer a World Culture mini session that lasts 4 weeks and introduces children to culture and traditions from Africa, Asia, Europe, and South America. The course begins Tuesday, May 2!
- World Culture - Grades 2-5, Tuesdays @ 4:00-5:00 p.m.
Please click on the flyers below for full details. To sign up, please visit http://biglearning.asapconnected.com/. If you have any questions, please contact our parent coordinator, Mrs. Irada Isayeva, at email@example.com.
- The early bird discount has been extended to Monday, September 19.
- All course start dates are postponed until October 10 due to low enrollment. This includes FLES AND S&E. Students will still receive 12 weeks of enrichment from the start date.
- Spanish Beginner (2-5) has met the minimum enrollment, but more are welcome.
- Chinese Beginner (2-5), French Beginner (2-5), and Spanish Introductory (K-1) have low enrollment and may be cancelled without more interest.
- Chinese Introductory (K-1), French Introductory (K-1), and Spanish Intermediate (3-5) are seeing less interest and may be cancelled altogether.
- Science & Engineering (S&E) course enrollment is low and may be cancelled altogether.
- Registration has been extended to October 7. Sign up now and invite a friend!
- Registrations will be refunded for classes with low enrollment, so don’t let it discourage you from registering. If you don’t register for fear of low enrollment, then the class won’t have a chance.